The centenary building of the Real Vinícola was built between 1897 and 1901, being a large industrial complex constituted by several buildings, the building occupies the perimeter of a block and has in its interior a great patio where the old railway line which made the connection to the docks of Port of Leixões use to end.
The buildings have wood truss roofs supported by stone masonry exterior walls and have different conservation status. One of the buildings has an additional vaulted brick floor, supported by iron beams. At the extremities of this building, there are two turrets that have an additional floor.
The project started in 2014 and is currently under construction. GEG developed the detailed design of structures and other engineering disciplines.
The preliminary inspection provided the information which served as a basis for the adopted strategic decisions of rehabilitation. These decisions consisted mainly of the treatment and rehabilitation of the existing elements, except for some specific situations in which new structures were adopted to support the additional loads foreseen in the project phase.
The architectural, structural and MEP design were based on the principle of reversibility preserving the integrity of the original structure whenever possible.
For the stone masonry walls were defined solutions of rehabilitation, treatment of cracks and a specific treatment for the turret, which consisted in the wall wrapping and load-bearing walls’ binding in the corners. For the masonry vaulted floors with iron beams were defined solutions for the rehabilitation or replacement of the elements. And finally, for the wood truss roofs, preventive, protective and reinforcement solutions were defined.